Monday, June 30, 2008

wind and rain

Classes start tomorrow. We had our orientation today, and it sounds like the classes will be enjoyable. Geology sounds like it will be a breeze, especially because Laura and I both took a geology class last year. The other class I am taking is sociology. We don't actually have a sociology lecture until Thursday, when we will be given a three hour lecture on Irish economics which, if the readings assigned are any indication, will be extremely dull. On the plus side, that professor is only giving the first lecture, and after that the class will be given over to a woman who we have been assured will lecture on "spicier" subjects.

Today we took it easy. The weather was bad and Laura and I were both feeling worn out, so aside from a walk up to the local department store for supplies we just stayed in and watched some Irish television and cooked.

I did, however, find a couple of opportunities on the walk to take some photos. If I could say one thing about Galway, it would be that it is the prettiest place I have ever been. I am excited to see more of the surrounding area on our geology field trips.



3 comments:

longshankss said...

I'm pretty sure you're staying where I stayed when I was there. What's the name of your accommodations?

William said...

You're decided not to take classes in Irelandeze? Geez, how are you gonna talk to anybody?

Andy said...

The name of the place is Corrib Village. It is a whole bunch of apartments just off campus.
Based on the number of groups of American students in Corrib Village I would say it is extremely likely that you stayed here as well.
As for classes in irelandeze, I am afraid they weren't offered. We only had 3 choices. Though we are in the part of the country where gaelic is still used frequently. it is on all the signs, and I watched some television in gaelic yesterday.