Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Amsterdam

So, I got a little behind on my blogging. We have been in Amsterdam for a few days now. We actually leave this evening for Prague. It is certainly an interesting city. Coffee shops that sell marijuana are all over the city, and the smell of the smoke equally pervading.

The city itself is beautiful, canals everywhere, and boats tied to every available space. I have been slightly disappointed with the use of these boats, though. It appears the only boats that actually use the canals are those giving tours. Everyone here gets around by bike, car, or tram, creating the most confusing traffic patterns I have ever encountered. I have probably come close to being run over a number of times by each of those modes of transit.


The red light district is another bizarre aspect to the city. Laura and I went there a couple of nights ago. The streets are lined with windows in which women stand in the glow of red lights and try to draw in passersby. However, most of them appear bored and frequently are seen talking on cell phones. I didn't take any photos of them, as I have read that this is not allowed, and there are people around who would try to confiscate my camera, but I took a couple photos of the district.

1 comment:

William said...

I met a Dutch guy yesterday who claimed to work for the Dutch version of the F.B.I. and insisted that the red light district was completely abolished in Amsterdam. I told him I read otherwise on your blog and he didn't have a convincing response.